Shift Work Disorder Tool/Care Kit
The Shift Work Disorder Tool/Care Kit includes practical resources and tools for the clinician that can be readily utilized to enhance patient care and communication.
This Tool/Care Kit has been made available by an educational grant from Cephalon, Inc.
Download all the Tool/Care Kit files as one PDF
If you have trouble opening any PDF on this web page, right click the link, save it to your computer, then open the file from there.
Related CME Courses on myCME
Recognizing and Managing Shift Work Disorder, an Underdiagnosed Condition: Improving Quality of Life
Improving Quality of Life for Patients With Shift Work Disorder (3 cases)
CLINICAL CASE BOOK
Recognizing and Managing Shift Work Disorder
Shift Work Disorder, An Often-Missed Diagnosis: Strategies for Recognition and Management
Practice Management Tips
- The Role of Circadian Rhythms in the Control of Sleep/Wake Function and Quality of Life
- ICD-9 Diagnostic Codes/Reimbursement Issues Related to Shift Work Disorder
Epworth Sleepiness Scale Patient Questionnaire (with Spanish translation)
Weekly Sleep & Wake Log
- Sleep Diary
- Considerations in Evaluating Patients with Shift Work Disorder
- Mallampati Scale and Risks for Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- PHQ-9 Quick Depression Assessment
- Insomnia Severity Index
- Treatment Options for Shift Work Disorder
- Sleep/Wake Hygiene Measures for Shift Work Disorder
- Bright Light Therapy for Shift Work Disorder
- Waiting Room Poster
If you would like to receive an actual 17" x 22" color Poster for your office, please provide your mailing address to via email at: email@example.com.
Click here for all Clinician Tools/Information files as one PDF.
Click here for the Sleep/Wake Disorders Video Q&A.
Shift Work Disorder Patient Video
These video case vignettes illustrate the interaction between the primary-care clinician and the patient with regard to screening for and managing shift work disorder.
Case 1: A 46-Year-Old Male Medical Technologist Who Is Tired and Irritable
Case 2: A 48-Year-Old Production Supervisor With Sleepiness Near the End of Her Night Shift
Patient Education Materials
- Patient Education Brochure
- Epworth Sleepiness Scale Patient Questionnaire (with Spanish translation)
Click here for all Patient Education Material files as one PDF
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorders. International Classification of Sleep Disorders Diagnostic and Coding Manual. 2nd ed. Westchester, IL: American Academy of Sleep Medicine;2005:117-135.
- Barnes-Farrell J, Davies-Schrils K, McGonagle A, et al. What aspects of shiftwork influence off-shift well-being of healthcare workers? Appl Ergon. 2008;39(5):589-596.
- Brown DL, Feskanich D, Sanchez BN, et al. Rotating night shift work and the risk of ischemic stroke. Am J Epidemiol. 2009;169:1370-1377.
- Cappuccio FP, D'Elia L, Strazzullo P, Miller MA. Quantity and quality of sleep and incidence of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetes Care. 2010;33(2):414-420.
- Culpepper L, Drake CL, Schwartz JR, Thorpy MJ. Shift work disorder. J Fam Pract. 2010;59(suppl 1):S1-S31.
- Czeisler CA, Walsh JK, Wesnes KA, et al. Armodafi nil for treatment of excessive sleepiness associated with shift work disorder: a randomized controlled study. Mayo Clin Proc. 2009 Nov;84:958-972.
- Davis KD, Goodman WB, Pirretti AE, Almeida DM. Nonstandard work schedules, perceived family well-being, and daily stressors. J Marriage Fam. 2008;70(4):991-1003.
- Drake CL, Roehrs T, Richardson G, et al. Shift work sleep disorder: prevalence and consequences beyond that of symptomatic day workers. Sleep. 2004;27:1453-1462.
- Erman M, Seiden DJ, Dammerman R, Yang R. The effects of armodafi nil on clinical condition late (0400 to 0800) in shift, including the commute home, and on functioning in patients with excessive sleepiness associated with shift work disorder. 34th Annual Meeting of the Society of General Internal Medicine; May 4-7, 2011; Phoenix, Arizona. Poster 11609.
- Morgenthaler TI, Lee-Chiong T, Alessi C, et al; Standards of Practice Committee of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Practice parameters for the clinical evaluation and treatment of circadian rhythm sleep disorders. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine report. Sleep. 2007;30:1445-1459.
- Nojkov B, Rubenstein JH, Chey WD, Hoogerwerf WA. The impact of rotating shift work on the prevalence of irritable bowel syndrome in nurses. Am J Gastroenterol. 2010;105:842-847.
- Swanson LM, Arnedt JT, Rosekind MR, et al. Sleep disorders and work performance: findings from the 2008 National Sleep Foundation Sleep in America poll. J Sleep Res. 2010;20(3):487-494.
- Zee PC, Goldstein CA. Treatment of shift work disorder and jet lag. Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2010;12:396-411.
- Zhao I, Bogossian F, Song S, Turner C. The association between shift work and unhealthy weight: a crosssectional analysis from the Nurses and Midwives' e-Cohort Study. J Occup Environ Med. 2011;53(2):153-158.
Click here for all Selected Publications as one PDF